Sunday, October 16, 2011

World of MMD #2

So earlier today I detailed the creation of MMD model in Metasequoia. Well it's a process I do every so often. I created Kirby last weekend, this most recent weekend I created a counterpart for him, Ribbon. If things keep up like this it might be fun to try and create one of these models every weekend. So here, let me introduce you to Ribbon.


Ribbon is actually a character from the old N64 game, Kirby and the Crystal Shards, if anyone remembers that! Her appearance was much different in game though. I've changed her a bit to how I wanted to draw her.

orthographic drawings
Now you might notice the orthographic drawings are a bit rough. They are mostly for my own use; if I was to formally present this, I would clean them up, give them nice lineart and organize them on a page. But for now, this is what it is. I don't have any intention to really present these anywhere.

So during a process that started Thursday night, I began modeling her in Metasequoia. I complete her, rig, facial animations, and physics, Sunday morning (4 AM to be exact. Then I went to bed because I can't sleep at night)







I added physics to her hair, wings, and the... well I'll call it the fringe pieces on her dress.

And here, the final result, with motion data applied in a video.


You probably notice the patches where her arms actually go through her head. Like I said before, most models are rigged to the same skeleton. However, for models with different proportions, the skeleton has to be altered to fit them, like Ribbon. Because of this, the motion data, which was meant for models with different proportions, looks a little funny. This is one of the many downsides to using motion data. I'll have to animate her myself if I want her to work properly, but for now my focus is on the models. Sure looks goofy, though.

Well from now one, when I work on these, I'll probably have more progress shots rather than just end results to show.

No comments:

Post a Comment